Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Gift Box


Hi all, I hope you are all having a great summer, it's been a busy one for me. So let's get started, first I want to thank Sheila, aka Sassy Lady, for giving me the opportunity to share with you something that has a very special meaning to me. Today I would like to share with you a box that I made for my niece's wedding and a small gift to go inside.

I started with a paper mache' box purchased from Hobby Lobby. I added little wood feet called Candle Cup that I also purchased from the wood section at Hobby Lobby.

Using the French Manor cartridge and Cricut Cuttables, Adhesive-backed Stencil Material, I cut out a stencil for the top of the box. The size was 2.5 inches and I set the pressure on high, blade at 5 and multi-cut at 4.

I cut another stencil for the front and two sides of the box using the border function. The size is 1 inch, multi-cut at 3, blade at 5, pressure at max and speed at slow.

I laid the stencil on the box and then added Spackling Paste. The paste is very rough so you will need to smooth the paste as much as you can with a trowel. The top of the box had a few sections where the paper had separated so I added paste around the edge to seal up the seams.

Remove the stencil and allow the paste to dry. After the paste dries, lightly sand so that your image is completely smooth.

I then painted the box using Anita's Acrylic paint in Cream. After the box dried I added delta paints in Village Green and Think Pink. When applying the pink and green paint, I used water to thin the paint.

Using a sponge paint brush I applied Martha Stewart Copper ink to give the box an antiqued look.

I lined the box with decorative paper.

I then added the embellishments to GLAM it up. This is always my favorite part of a project. Now for a peek at the gift.

The gift was a garter that I made for my niece's wedding. I smocked it with hearts and added a pearl at the bottom of each heart. The pearls that I used came from the brides great grandmothers jewelery. This was just a small way to have our grandmother with us at this special event.

I hope I have inspired you to do something creative that has a special meaning for you or someone in your family. I would love to hear how you will incorporate this idea into your crafting style so please leave me a comment.

3 comments:

  1. Becky I just love this AWESOME BOX!!! Love the scrolls you added by making the stencils using the new French Manor car. WOW! Love the beautiful lining! The garter is awesome and what a wonderful keepsake with your grandmothers pearls! This is just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! this is gorgeous! and what a wonderful gift...it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful.I know she will always treasure because it meant so much to you to make it----and it is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete